The aim of this assessment is to help you develop an understanding of the
social and ethical dimensions of business using your values framework.
The Week 3 lecture will provide you more details on how best to
successfully complete this assessment. Reflecting on your ‘initial response’
about your five most important personal core values described in your
tutorial submission in week 4 tutorial, research the Takata Air Bag case (refer
html or the pdf document on the Takata case posted on the Moodle site).
You are expected to research and integrate other relevant academic material
in the development of your essay. Familiarising with the Moodle site
resources on developing an understanding of reflective practice andcritiquing techniques is likely to help you complete this assessment
In order to successfully complete the reflective essay, you should follow
these steps. 1. Attending and submitting the week 4 tutorial about your
values. The contents of this submission should give you an ideal start to your
reflective essay. You can quote sections from your submission in your
reflective essay. Your marker will be looking for connections between your
week 4 submission and your reflective essay.
2. Before starting to write your essay, draft answers to the following
questions in relation to the Takata case study. Then reflect on your responses.
Following this process should help you to develop a deeper understanding of
the issues leading to the resignation of the top executives at Takata.
a. What did Takata do?
b. How did Takata do it?
c. What values of Takata differed from the expected?
d. What are the individual, organisational and social consequences of
Takata’s unethical conduct?
e. How do you feel after reading about the Takata case?
f. In which other occasions have you felt like this?
Your reflective essay must have the following sections.
1. Description of Week 4 tutorial submission on your values (200 words)
2. Brief answers to questions from 2(a) to 2(f) above (400 words)
3. Your understanding of Kantianism (400 words)
4. Application of Kantianism to the Takata company and the CEO’s conduct
5. Using Kantianism and your values, explain what you would have done
differently as the Chief Executive Officer of Takata (600 words)
To facilitate more in-depth reflection, write in the first person, early in the
session and as often as possible. Be prepared to write several drafts before
submitting your final, polished reflective essay. Make sure you shape your
reflective essay to the marking criteria posted on the eLearning site.
1. In order to ensure that your essay meets with the expectations of
originality, you MUST submit your essay into the Turnitin software to check
for your similarity score.
2. When marking, your tutor will take into account your similarity score and
the report generated by Turnitin.
3. Although there is no ideal ‘score’, as a guideline, you should revise your
essay until you reach a score of 2% or less for individual matches (not the
overall score). Those assessments that have high similarity scores and other
suspicious activity will be investigated.
4. A good quality reference list will result in an overall score of 20% – 30%.
The score can be tested by using the “exclude bibliography” filter.