Visit the Museum of the African Diaspora (MoAD) website (links below) and follow the steps in the order they are listed:
– Explore the “About Us” page: https://www.moadsf.org/about-us/our-mission/ (Links to an external site.)
– Read the sections, “About Us,” “Our Mission,” “Our Focus,” and “Our Themes”
– Tour the digital exhibition, Meet Us Quickly: Painting for Justice from Prison: https://www.moadsf.org/meet-us-quickly/ (Links to an external site.)
– Click “Full Essay” and read “The Art of Proximity” by Rahsaan “New York” Thomas
– Then, scroll down the page to view the paintings. Click on each painting (for example, Mother of Civilization) and read the description accompanying each painting.
Then, write a response (minimum 250 words; maximum 375 words) that fully addresses the prompt below.
After exploring the Museum of the African Diaspora’s website and viewing the digital exhibition, Meet Us Quickly: Painting for Justice from Prison, address the following:
– What is your overall impression of the digital exhibition?
– How is the digital exhibition related to this week’s theme, “Living in Diaspora”?
– Be sure to reference at least ONE video lecture, assigned video, or assigned reading:
Assigned readings are uploaded in additional materials.
– Pick ONE of the paintings from the digital exhibition. How does your chosen painting reflect MoAD’s themes? Discuss TWO of out the four listed.
– Themes: Origins, Movement, Adaptation, Transformation