- Read this short overview of the “American Dream“
- Read Chapter 8,Stratification and Social Mobility in the US, in your text. Your assignment must be informed by information from the chapter. Textbook: Schaefer, R.T. (2019). Sociology: A brief introduction (13th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. No outside/web sources, please.
- Watch this video on Social Mobility and the American Dream
- Review the Purdue OWL for instructions and examples of formatting in text citations and references. In-text citations go in the paragraph and the reference list is located after the Word Count at the end of your paper.
- Often the argument is made that people can be economically successful/secure in the US if they “just work hard enough.” From what you learned in the chapter and the American Dream video, how realistic is this belief?
- If someone made a comment about the poor being poor because they don’t work hard enough, what would you tell her/him from the chapter and the video to give provide a more accurate understanding about success, poverty, and mobility?