For Journal #1: Think about a scenario you encountered in your life (with a family member, a friend, at work, etc) involving a psycho-social issue related to the Covid-19 pandemic, then use the below format to reflect on what might be your nursing care/response. Use this guide for reflection as a way to tell the story of the situation you encountered. This will provide you with a way of thinking about care that supports the development of your clinical nursing judgment and your use of the nursing process. Include all of the below areas in each of your 3 reflection journals that are due this semester. Prompts will be provided for each. Due dates are by the end of Sept., Oct. and Nov., 1 journal per month. Be in touch with any questions!
- Describe a nursing situation you encountered (refer to the prompt above.)
- Describe your relationship to the person at the time you noticed the situation.
- Consider experiences you have had that can you provide nursing care in this situation. Describe your formal knowledge (e.g. physiology, psychology, communication skills, etc…), previous nursing experience with a similar problem, and/or personal experiences that helped guide you.
- Describe your beliefs about your role as the nurse in working on the situation.
- Describe any emotions you had about the situation.
- What did you notice about the situation initially? Then, describe what you noticed as you spent more time with the person.
- Describe what you thought about the situation (e.g. its cause, potential resolutions, patterns you noticed). Describe any similar situations you have encountered in practice before. Describe any similarities and differences you observed when compared with the current situation.
- What other information (e.g. assessment data, evidence) did you decide you needed as you considered the situation? How did you obtain this information? What help with problem solving did you get from your nurse, instructor, or other resource?
- Your conclusion: What did your observations and data interpretation lead you to believe? How did they support your response/intervention to the situation? Include pertinent pathophysiology and/or psychopathology.
Responding and Reflection-in-Action
• After considering the situation, what was your goal for the patient, family, group of clients, and/or staff? What was your nursing response, or what interventions did you do? List all actions that you took.
• Describe stresses you experienced as you responded to the patient or others involved in the situation.
• What happened? How did the patient, family, group, and/or staff respond? What did you do next?
Reflection-on-Action and Clinical Learning
• Describe three ways your nursing care skills expanded during this experience.
• Name three things you might do differently if you encounter this kind of situation again. What additional knowledge, information, and skills do you need when encountering this kind of situation or a similar situation in the future?
• Describe any changes in your values or feelings as a result of this experience.
5 Steps of the Nursing Process: ADPIE
Finally, use this journal work to intentionally develop your ability to use all 5 phases of the Nursing Process by briefly summarizing the above clinical experience into the below ADPIE format. Learning to use ADPIE will also support your ability to use the SBAR technique for communication that promotes safe, high quality care.
By practicing this you will improve your nursing care and feel increased confidence in the BSN RN role!
The post For Journal #1: Think about a scenario you encountered in your life (with a family member, appeared first on The Writer.