Assignment 1 –Journal (2,250 words)
- The assessment has two sections and each section includes individual questions.
- You are required to answer each question in the section.
- You can download this word document and answer questions as given below.
- You are required to provide a brief answer to each question. No dot points should be used, use normal sentence structure.
- The word count and weightage (Marks) are given for each question. Overall word count can be 10 % more or less for the entire paper.
- Minimum one reference should be used for each question. Provide a complete reference list at the end of the document and not after each answer.
- Answer questions in the third person (Being a social worker), you can use ‘I’ when you are asked to reflect on an issue and provide your perspective.
- Make sure that you answer all the questions to be awarded full marks. If you do not answer one or two questions, then you will lose marks allocated for the question.
- Use Times Roman, font size 12, check for spelling and grammar errors before submission.
- This is an academic paper so make sure you are paraphrasing to avoid academic integrity issues.
- You must read the feedback sheet attached to understand the criteria for the assessment. Feedback will be provided on the feedback sheet.
Ageing, Demographic and Social Policy Context
- Discuss ageing as a social construct. Give one example to justify how it is a social construct. (Word count 150)
- List key policies relevant to work with older people and choose one to briefly describe the implications of a chosen policy for social work practice with older people. (Word count 150)
- Discuss patterns and trends in demographic ageing and explain how structural functionalism explains demographic ageing. What might be its implication for social work practice? (Word count 200)
- What knowledge, skills, and values can you identify that are crucial in developing your critical gerontological practice? (Word count 250)
- Explain the social model/perspectives contrary to the biomedical model to understand disability in older people. How does this perspective inform social workers’ practice? Give examples. (Word count 250)
- Explain the ‘notion of risk’ and how does it present an ethical dilemma when retaining a client’s autonomy and self-determination. What ethical principles/guidelines will inform your practice in working through this ethical dilemma? (Word count 150)
- What is person-centered care? How would you apply a person-centered approach in working with an older person in a community/hospital health setting? (Word count 150)
- Caring for a person with dementia could be demanding on a family member. Reflect on what might be some key concerns of family carers. (Word count 150)
- What are the different forms of elder abuse? Choose any one form of abuse and explain briefly, how you would respond to this elder abuse. (Word count 250)
- Interview an elderly person aged 75+ from your social circle using strengths-based inquiry and briefly comment on your thoughts completing the inquiry. What did you learn when you interacted with the elderly person? You can use ‘I’ statement to answer this question.
(Word count 250)
- Choose any three Guest lectures/topics covered during the course that stood out for you. Explain, how did it contribute to your learning about social work practice with older people (300). You can use ‘I’ statement to answer this question.
|Social Work with Older people (HUMS 4001) Assignment 1: Reflective Learning Journal – 2,250 words (50% of final grade)|
|Key components of this assignment||Comment by marker|
|Demonstrated understanding of the perspectives on ageing, demographic trends, sociological theory and its influence on current policy and legislation on ageing, and the ability to critically reflect upon its implications for social work practice. 40%|
|Demonstrated understanding of needs and issues faced by people in older age and an ability to provide ethical, person-centered care through the application of knowledge and skills to provide effective service to older people. 40%|
|Demonstration of a reflective approach to learning about social work practice with older people. 20% * Adhere to an academic writing convention. A minimum of 10-12 references is required from academic sources.|
|The Graduate qualities being assessed by this assignment are indicated by an X:|
|X||GQ1: operate effectively with and upon a body of knowledge||GQ5: are committed to ethical action and social responsibility|
|X||GQ2: are prepared for lifelong learning||X||GQ6: communicate effectively|
|GQ3: are effective problem solvers||GQ7: demonstrate an international perspective|
|GQ4:can work both autonomously and collaboratively|